sexta-feira, 29 de novembro de 2013

Speaking on the phone in another language



Rrrrrring ring!

Speaking in general in another language is not easy if you haven´t gotten much practice. Now imagine speaking on the phone...

And on top of insecurity we often have some common technical problems, like bad connection, noise in the background or we might be talking to a person who doesn´t speak very clearly. 

I remember when I moved to California in 2004 and I had to talk to people on the phone. I spoke English fluently and had no problems with the language.. Or so I thought! I quickly realized that it´s one thing talking face to face with a person but when it comes to talking to someone on the phone I was a bit lost at the beginning! It almost seems like people speak even faster for some reason when they´re on the phone. Actually I can imagine why because I myself don´t like this kind of communication. I prefer talking to people face to face because I like to see how they´re feeling and it´s a fact that people can´t hide their emotions when you can see their face. It took me a few times on the phone to get used to this. I even got nervous the first time I ordered a pizza because the lady on the phone asked me millions of questions that I had never been asked before in English and I couldn´t understand some of them and on top of all that I really don´t like having to say "What" or "Could you repeat that please" a thousand times.. 

But that´s how you learn.. You can ask the person to speak more slowly, to repeat his/her question, to spell for you ("a" as in "apple")and most importantly, don´t say you´ve understood something if you haven´t! This can create a huge misunderstanding! 

I have a class with two wonderful students who suffered two long classes with me training them how to leave and receive messages. 

We created a script and I recorded them calling each other from two separate rooms. 

It wasn´t easy at first but with practice they started looking like professional secretaries. 

The conversation takes place between a secretary who works for Krubb Interior Designs and a Mrs. Griswold looking for a Mrs. Jenkins. 

Secretary: Good morning. Krubb Interior Designs. Can I help you?

Mrs. Griswold: Yes. This is Tanya Griswold. I´m calling for Mrs. Jenkins. 

Secretary: Mrs. Jenkins is away from her desk at the moment. 

Mrs. Griswold: Could I leave a message for her?

Secretary: Sure.

Mrs. Griswold: This is Tanya Griswold. I would like to talk to her about the opening of the new store at Rio Mar. 

Secretary: I´m sorry. Could you speak more slowly, please?

Mrs. Griswold: Yes sure. This is Tanya Griswold. I would like to talk to her about the opening of the new store at Rio Mar.

Secretary: I´m sorry. Could you please spell your name?

Mrs. Griswold: Sure. That´s "T" as in "teacher". "a" as in "apple, "n" as in "November", "i" as in "India", and "a" as in "apple". 

Secretary: Ok. Does she have your number?

Mrs. Griswold: No. It´s 017-3672190

Secretary: I´m sorry, could you repeat that, please?

Mrs. Griswold: Sure. That´s 017-3672190.

Secretary: Ok, I´ll let her know.

Mrs. Griswold: Thank you. 

Secretary: You´re welcome. 

Mrs. Griswold: Bye-bye. 



Useful telephone vocabulary and phrases in English.

Making contact: 

Hello / Good morning / Good afternoon ...

This is John Brown speaking.

Could I speak to ......... please?

I'd like to speak to ..... .....


Giving more information:

I'm calling from Tokyo / Paris / New York / Sydney ...

I'm calling on behalf of Mr. Moore ...


Taking a call: 

Mr. Moore speaking.

Can I help you?


Asking for a name/information:

Who's calling please?

Who's speaking?

Where are you calling from?

Are you sure you have the right number / name?


Asking the caller to wait:

Hold the line please.

Could you hold on please?

Just a moment please.


Connecting:

Thank you for holding.

The line's free now ... I'll put you through.

I'll connect you now / I'm connecting you now.


Giving negative information: 

I'm afraid the line's engaged. Could you call back later?

I'm afraid he's in a meeting at the moment.

I'm sorry. He's out of the office today. /

He isn't in at the moment.

I'm afraid we don't have a Mr./Mrs./Ms/Miss. ... here

I'm sorry. There's nobody here by that name.

Sorry. I think you've dialled the wrong number./

I'm afraid you've got the wrong number.


Telephone problems: 

The line is very bad ... Could you speak up please?

Could you repeat that please?

I'm afraid I can't hear you.

Sorry. I didn't catch that. Could you say it again please?



Leaving / Taking a message:

Can I leave / take a message?

Would you like to leave a message?

Could you give him/her a message?

Could you ask him/her to call me back?

Could you tell him/her that I called?

Could you give me your name please?

Could you spell that please?

What's your number please?


I hope you learned something from this blog! Feel free to print these tips out in case you need to take a call and speak in English!  Have a nice weekend!

Nenhum comentário:

Postar um comentário