quinta-feira, 14 de novembro de 2013

One is not enough!


I recently read an article on the Forbes site discussing the expansion of the English language to more and more places in the world in face of China`s growing economic might and the prospect that perhaps Mandarin and not English could emerge as the dominant language of global commerce.  I won`t summarize the article since I feel it`s worth a read, and where the accredited author sites various references of English continuing to be the dominant language of communication for the foreseeable future.  She eludes to an underlying pitfall by many native speakers, not to speak a second or third language.
I echo her sentiments for a stronger desire by individuals to speak a second or third language, especially amongst natives.  As a Canadian, a bilingual country, I`m removed from this pitfall, which has befallen my American neighbours to the south.  Only an astonishingly low 10 percent of them speak a second language.  Now I am not absolving Canadians or British or Australians, as some of them too fall into this category, and like many Americans, miss that cross -cultural awareness exercise, which occurs when one learns a second language. 
This of course has come back to haunt Americans through their often controversial foreign policy and their reputation outside of their borders.  I mean come on, most claim to be Canadian when they are travelling – some my friends.  Regardless, this is not about coming down on Yanks – I love most of them, ok a few – more than 10.  Anyway, the finger should be pointed at all who speak only one language.  Yes only one, because one is not nearly enough, especially in the world we live in now. 
Now I am not saying that English should be the premiere language, it is in fact the default language but acquiring a skill set in another should be something we all should seek out.  I always wondered how Brasil has maintained its Portuguese inspite being surrounded by Spanish speaking countries or why they never chose to be bilingual, and adopt Spanish?  I am sure some of you will weigh in on this query, and I hope so. 
I believe that it’s a necessity especially now when the world is getting smaller and more people are living on it that learning a second language whether it be English, Mandarin, (Julius) or Sinhalese it’s the cross-cultural exercise that every human needs to indulge in at some point in their lives.  Seeking new ways to communicate must be a social responsibility as individuals of a world in the 21st Century.
So, congratulations to my dear students who have taken those first steps towards greater cultural awareness through language – Parabens!
Clieque aqui para link do artigo no Forbes…

 

Um comentário: