quinta-feira, 21 de novembro de 2013

Can I get an Abraço?

At the risk of following in the sentimental waxing of a certain dear colleague, I too must concede to his lead. This time in the subject of borrowing from other languages, and adopting into our own, and how as teachers we see this the most – thanks to our students. In fact we don`t need to go too far to see examples of English words incorporated into common usage in Portuguese. 

My biggest pet peeve is ``O Shopping…``, or how about, ``land kids``, but then there are others appropriated correctly like ``baby`` or ``toy``. My point is that borrowing words from another language is natural, and normal and a direct result of globalization, and dare I say a movement towards a universal language. English I suppose comes closest since most countries, about 70 out of 196, speak it in the world, but English too has been guilty of borrowing and not returning. It`s actually interesting how languages are cool like that – that they can borrow from one another and not return, and that`s ok. Nice.

The subject of borrowing in language recently came up among a group of students – we were discussing closings to emails, or to borrow from the French le denouement. One of them showed me his sample email which he ended with ``hugs,…``, instead of the customary``Abraços,…``. I guess he must have read my face a bit and asked if it was correct. I said of course it was, but it then became a point of cultural difference and debate. 

The notion of closing with hugs for a North American man would probably seem odd, and something he would avoid writing but would naturally think it. I am not sure why that is the case, probably some deep-rooted homophobic notion forbidding verbal or written communication of the like. North American men would freely hug other men, but would not say or write for that matter ``hugs`` as a closing to an email. 

Personally I have been an intentional culprit for the longest time ending all my English emails to guy friends with ``abraços,``, borrowing not only the Portuguese word but also the jeito Brasileiro – that warmth and tenderness even among men. Something to me that is so dear and special about the language that it beckons borrowing. So I applauded my student and group and encouraged them to cling onto that custom and end their English emails with ``abraços'' - Always nice receiving a hug at the end of an email. 



Nenhum comentário:

Postar um comentário