terça-feira, 5 de novembro de 2013

A very specific kind of shower

We’ve had a group of students since August that fit into a special category. These students quickly became our friends. Every teacher knows that tension that naturally comes before starting a new group. Sometimes this feeling goes on for a few classes, until teacher and students finally bond. With this group, this anxiety lasted for about 5 minutes. The ice was immediately broken due to their sense of humour added to great doses of eagerness.

I caught myself covering a range of vocabulary that I never thought I would teach before our classes. One example is ‘shit shower’ (apologies!). It came up in class #1, if I’m not wrong, when I said I really liked the tie one of my students was wearing. Immediately the term was on the table and they were all trying to explain what the expression meant.

My first understanding of the term was a rather superficial one: (;)  ‘shit shower’ means complimenting someone. Last night I realized there was much more to it than I had actually realized.

We were at Underground Pub and the term came up. Kristín, who’s also a teacher here at C.E.O., was indeed puzzled when the unexpected collocation came up. I then asked a student, the creator of the term, to explain in his own words what it meant.

He explained that lawyers live in an extremely competitive world, full of dispute for prestige, status and results. Quite a stressful life, as one can imagine. "In this kind of atmosphere", he continued, "it is very natural to hear some unpleasant comments: people pointing out that your tie knot is a bit too much to the left, or that your trousers are a bit tight because you might have gained some weight." I must agree when he says that there’s nothing positive about such comments.

Then something started in his group of co-workers. During a tough job, for example, they noticed that words of support really helped them give that extra push. Something like ‘you’re a great criminal lawyer and you know it’ was something really good to hear at 2am when you’re trying to find a solution to a conundrum in a client’s case.
So the group of lawyers got into the habit of saying nice things to each other. The interesting part is that they’re not lies, not at all. ‘A  ‘shit shower’ is just a verbal representation of the truth’, quoting my wise student. Why shouldn’t you tell someone he looks terrific that day if you really think he does?

These guys are great lawyers. They work for one of the biggest and most respected law firms in town, and they found a way of helping and supporting one another by expressing positive impressions they had. Needless to say their friendship has thus become stronger, and how thier productivity has been positively influenced.

As for me, once again I confirm that us teacher get so much in return, that I’m not sure who learns more, us or our students. Because of them, I’ll really try to fit more positive comments in my routine.

And for this specific group of students, my ‘shit shower’ of the day: It is indeed a pleasure to be your teacher and your friend.


Nenhum comentário:

Postar um comentário